Bhapa Puli Pitha
- Mix coconut, jaggery, cinnamon and cardamon in a non stick pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until sticky and well combined.
- Remove from heat and let them cool. Keep aside.
- Boil water and salt. Add rice flour and mix well with water. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes on low heat.
- Once done, remove from heat and let it slightly cool.
Making Puli Pitha:
- Take out of the cooked dough and place on the board. Sprinkle some flour on it.
- Rub it by hand again. Divide the dough into 8-10 small ball. Roll it flat with a rolling pin.
- Pick some fillings prepared before and put at the center of the wrapper. Fold and pinch the wrapper from the middle to the two outer sides. Put the pinched side on the forefinger. See the step picture.
- Grease an aluminum or stainless steel steamer with some oil and place the shaped puli leaving a little space between each of them.
- Fill a vessel or pot that is large enough to place the steamer with 3" to 4" of water and bring water to a boil. Ensure that the bottom of the steamer does not touch the water.
- Once the water coming to a rolling boil, place the steamer in the vessel and cover with lid. Steam on high heat for 8-10 mins. The bhapa pulis are done when a shiny sheen appears over them.
Step by Step Picture: