Chicken Akhoni Biriyani
Chicken Akhoni Biriyani
- Polau rice-chinigura/kalijira/bashmoti - 1 kg
- Chicken - 2 kg regular pieces
- Tok doi(plain yogurt)/Curd - 4 tablespoon
- Sliced Onion - 1/2 cup
- Chopped Onion - 1/2 cup
- Spice Paste:
- Ginger Paste - 1 tablespoon
- Garlic Paste - 2 teaspoon
- Pistachio Paste - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Paste - 2 teaspoon
- Coriander Paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Jaiphal (nutmeg) powder or paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Jaitri (mace) powder or paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Whole Garam Masala:
- Cinnamon - 2
- Cardamon - 4
- Cloves - 4
- Other Ingredients:
- Ground red chili - 1 teaspoon
- Green chili - 7-8 pieces
- Lime juice - 2 teaspoon
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- kewra essence - 2 teaspoon
- Ghee/oil - 1 cup
- Jorda color/orange food color(optional) - 1 teaspoon
- Clean and wash chicken pieces. Dry with a cloth or tissue. Marinate with with one teaspoon ginger, garlic, orange food color and a little bit of salt for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and fry chicken pieces until brown. Keep aside.
- Heat 1/2 cup ghee in a pan and fry the chopped onions until they are crispy. Keep them aside.
- Now add the sliced onions in the oil and heat until they are brown.
- Add in the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, and stir for a minute. Then mix ginger paste, garlic paste, cumin paste, coriander paste, red chili powder, jaiphal, jaitry, pistachio paste and salt.
- Add the chicken pieces and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat. Then add whisk yogurt and two cups of water. Cover and cook 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Next add lime juice, and sugar. Cook two minutes.
- Finally add kewra essence and remove from flame once gravy reduce to one cup. Keep aside.
- Heat the rest of the ghee in a separate pan, and fry the rice until its crisp.
- Pour 6-7 cups of hot water over the rice and add in the salt.
- Once the water starts boiling, adjust salt, cover the pan and keep over medium heat.
- Stir the boiling rice after 3 to 4 minutes, and keep it covered again.
- Finally turn off the heat once the water dries up.
- In a small bowl mix kewra essence and milk. Keep aside.
- Take out approximately half of the cooked rice and pour in all the chicken pieces and the gravy.
- Add in half of the milk-kewra mix and some fried onions and green chilies.
- Now cover the chicken with the other half of the rice and add in the rest of the milk-kewra mix, green chilies and fried onions.
- Cook over low heat for 20 minutes, and don't stir at the time.
- Turn off the heat completely when the mixture looks cooked, giving off a distinct aroma.
- Serve hot with borhani, kabab and salad.