Shorshe Ilish/Shorisha Ilish/Hilsha Fish curry
Shorshe Ilish/Shorisha Ilish/Hilsha Fish curry is delicious and traditional fish curry in Bangladesh and also in West Bengal.
Now-a-days we are celebrated Begali new year or Noboborsho on April 14 each year with Panta Bhat and Ilish Bhaja along with Shorshe Ilish. So this is very festival dish in our Bangladesh.
- Ilish/Hilsha fish 1 kg - 8-10 pieces
- Onion - 1 cup finely chopped
- Onion Paste - 1/4 cup
- Black mustard paste - 1/4 cup
- Tok doi(plain yogurt)/Curd - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Paste - 1 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- Poppy seed paste/Postodana - 2 teaspoon
- Cumin paste - 1 teaspoon
- Green Chilies - 4 numbers
- Maustard oil - 1/2 cup
- salt - to test
- Water - 1 cup + 2 tablespoon
- Wash and drain the fish pieces.
- Mix salt and 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder with fish.
- Heat 1/4 cup mustard oil in a nonstick pan and fry the marinated fish a little. Keep aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a another pan, add chopped onion and fry till soft.
- Add onion paste, remaining turmeric powder, chili paste, poppy seed paste, cumin paste, salt and 4 tablespoon water to prevent spices from burning. Saute' for 3-4 minutes or until separated oil.
- Lightly whisk yogurt with one cup of water and mix well. Then adding it to the gravy.
- Place the fish pieces gently and cook on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add green chilies and cook for 4 minutes or until the fish gets tender and oil gets separated.
- Check the consistency and salt.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a serving plate.
- Serve hot with steamed rice or polau or khichuri.