Sobji Khichuri/Vegetable Bhuna Khichuri/Vuna Khichuri
Vegetable khichuri or Sobji Khichuri is a very popular dish in our country, specially in winter or rainy season. Sobji khichuri is a healthy and delicious. It is a nice combination of rice and lentil. Traditional vuna khichuri is made with aromatic rice and brown lentil.
- Rice ingredients:
- Polau rice-chinigura/kalijira/bashmoti - 2 cups
- Masoor dal - 1/2 cup
- Moong Dal - 1/2 cup
- Ginger paste - 2 teaspoon
- Garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion - 1/2 cup chopped
- Whole cumin - 1/2 teaspoon
- Whole garam masal-cinnamon,cardamon - 4 pieces
- Oil - 1/4 cup
- Ghee - 2 tablespoon
- Vegetable ingredients:
- Carrot - 1/2 cup grated
- Cauliflower - 1/2 cup cubed
- Potato - 1/2 cup chopped
- Beans - 1/4 cup chopped
- Green peas - 1/4 cup
- Cabbage - 1/2 cup chopped
- Spring onion - 1/2 cup chopped
- Green chilies - 4-5 pieces
- Wash the rice and dal together well and drain all water out. Keep aside.
- Mix all the vegetable in a bowl with a dash of salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil and fry the vegetable lightly. Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a deep bottom pan and fry 1/4 cup onions until soft.
- Add whole garam masala, bay leaves and saute' a little.
- Now add rice-dal and fry until water slightly dries up.
- Pour salt and 6 cups of warm water and bring to boil. Start cooking over medium heat. Stir few times.
- Once the mixture starts boiling, then add fried vegetable and green chilies. Adjust salt.
- Cover and keep on a low heat. Stir once again after 4 minutes.
- Once the water dries up keep a tawa under the pan and keep covering on a very low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a another pan and fry remaining chopped onion and whole cumin until brown.
- After fried, add them into khichuri and mix gently.
- Remove from heat and keep covering before serving.