Tehari(Spicy Biriyani) is very popular in Bangladesh and also called by “Shahi Dhakaiya Tehari”. In Indian subcontinent (India, Pakistan and Bangladesh) cuisine it is considered as spicy flavored rice and beef preparation. Tehari is served in different social occasion as main dish with some green salad, pickles and Borhany.
- For the rice
- Bashmoti /chinigura rice washed and drained - 500 gm
- Cardamon - 2 pieces
- Cinnamon - 2 sticks
- Salt - 3 teaspoon
- Water - 900 ml
- For the marination
- Beef/Mutton/lamb meat - 1 kg cut in 1 inch pieces
- Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
- Ginger paste - 1 tablespoon
- Garam masala - 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- Poppy seeds paste - 1 teaspoon
- Plain yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Red Chili Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Black pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon juice - 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Other Ingredients;
- Onion - 2 cups thinly sliced
- Nutmeg-mace powder - 1 teaspoon
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Mustard oil - 1/4 cup
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Rose water - 2 teaspoon
- Kewra - 2 teaspoon
- Green Chilies - 7-8 pieces
- In a bowl add beaten yogurt, ginger-garlic paste, chili powder, salt, lemon juice, garam masala,pepper,coriander powder,poppy seeds paste and meat.Marinate for 1 hours.
- Add oil in a pan or korai and fry 1 cup of onion slices till golden brown.Keep them on a paper-towel.This crispy brown fried onion slices are called beresta.
- In a pan heat Mustard oil and add remaining sliced onions.Stirring continuously, till onions are light golden brown.
- Add ginger paste-garlic paste and mix well.
- Add marinated meat, salt, coriander powder, cumin powder , red chili powder, milk, jayfol-joyotri powder and mix thoroughly.
- Cook on high flame.Add three cups of water, bring it to a boil,reduced heat and cook covered till meat is almost cooked.Add garam masala powder.
- Before cook soak the rice for 20 minutes in water. Wash well and drain all the water.
- In a large sauce pan boil 800 ml water, add rice , salt ,4 cardamon,2 Cinnamon sticks and cover and cook till rice is done 80%.
- Then add cooked meat pieces, fried onion, ghee, rose water, kewra essence, green chilies and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Slowly mixed rice and meat. Cover it and keep the heat to lowest.Wait for 45-50 mins. Make sure your pan is heavy-bottomed or the rice will burn or you can place a flat tava then keep the pan on that tava.
- After 45 minutes switch off the heat and let the Tehari stand for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with salad and borhani.
Step by Step Picture: