Achari Murgi/Achari Chicken
This type of chicken curry popularly known as Achari Murgi or Achari Chicken curry. It is an extremely flavorful chicken thick gravy that has a quite a few pickle spices going into its making. Absolutely mouthwatering flavors that is sure to please your palate.
Oilive Pickle or Mango Pickle is an integral part of this recipe. Traditionally, achary chicken curry is spicy. This spicy chicken gravy is served with steamed rice or naan.
- Chicken - 1 kg
- Ground turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil - 3-4 tablespoon for shallow frying
- For Gravy:
- Onion - 1/2 cup chopped
- Ginger paste - 2 teaspoon
- Garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- Mustard paste - 2 teaspoon white
- Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Red chili Powder - 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Ground turmeric - 1/4 teaspoon
- Bay leaf - 2 pieces
- Cinnamon 1 - 2 pieces
- Green Cardamon - 2 pieces
- Oil - 1/4 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Olive pickle/Mango pickle(achar) - 1/4 cup low sweetened
- Cut the chicken into small pieces. Wash and drain, keep aside.
- Marinate chicken in turmeric powder and half tsp salt for 15 mts.
- Heat 2 1/2 tbsps oil in a flat non-stick pan, place the marinated pieces and fry until light brown on high heat.
- Remove the fried chicken pieces and keep aside.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, once hot, add the chopped onions and whole garam masala and saute for 3-4 mts or till they turn lightly brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for a little. Add the remaining spices with two tablespoon water and add the mango or olive pickle. Mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix well.
- Cook on high flame for 4 mts, mixing once in a while. Adjust salt to taste.
- Reduce flame, add one cup of water, place lid and cook till the chicken is cooked and you have a thick coating of the gravy to the chicken pieces.
- Remove lid and turn off flame. Transfer to a serving dish.
- Garnish with dry chilies and serve with steamed rice or naan.
- You can add cubed potatoes in this chicken curry.
- Adjust the red chilies according to your taste level.