Begun Shutki/Eggplant with Dry fish
Begun Shutki Vuna (dry fish) is a very popular recipe in our country. Many people do not like Shutki for its strong smell, but those who love shutki consider this dish to be a favorite. It served with rice or khichuri.
- Loitta shutki(dry fish) - 1 cup cut into 1
- Onion Chopped - 1/2 cup
- Garlic - 2 tablespoon chopped
- Ginger paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder (optional) - 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam masla powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Green chilies - 4 numbers
- Tomato - 1/4 cup chopped
- Brinjal/eggplant - 1 cup chopped
- Salt - to taste
- Masterded Oil - 2 tablespoon
Remove heads and tails and cut the fish into 1" pieces.Boil some water and boil dry fish pieces for 30 s.Washed thoroughly a few times in water to get ride of all the sands and drain well.Then mashed well.
Heat oil in a pan,add chopped onion and garlic.Fry them until soft.Then add garlic paste,ginger paste,cumin powder,garam masla powder, salt,red chili powder and turmeric powder.Saute' for 1 minute,reduce the heat to medium.Dry fish has a lot of salt.So be careful about salt.
Now add boiled shutki,chopped tomatoes and stir for 1-2 minutes.If you feel salty then add more onion.It is your personal preference.Use mustard oil which makes the shutki to different taste and makes it so delicious.
Add chopped eggplant and green chilies.Mix then well with fish and spice.Taste and check for salt.
Cover on low heat and cook for five minutes or until all water dries up.Once the water dries up remove from heat.You can also add coriander leaves for garnishing.
Serve with rice or khichuri.