Chicken Kabsa(Arabian Biriyani)
Kabsa is very traditional Middle Eastern Dish consisting of spices,rice,meat and vegetables. It is a family dishes that are served mostly in Jordan and Saudi Arabia. It can be made with various-this is just one of them. It is usually made with chicken, lamb or beef. Fragrant Basmoti rice topped with chicken pieces cooked in a tomato sauce with aromatic spices and garnish with toasted almond and raisins.
- Chicken - 500 gm
- Basmoti/Chingura Rice - 1 1/2 cup washed & drained
- Onion - 1 cup chopped
- Ginger paste - 1 tablespoon
- Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
- Cumin paste - 1 teaspoon
- Garam masla powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cardamon - 2
- Cinnamon stick 1 - 2
- Nutmeg-mace,allspice,clove paste - 1 teaspoon together
- Tomato Chopped - 1/2 cup
- Tomato sauce - 1 tablespoon
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Carrot - 1/4 cup grated
- Raisins - 2 tablespoon
- Almond - 3 tablespoon
- Oil - 1/4 cup
- Ghee - 1 tablespoon
- Mix together the chicken pieces and one teaspoon ginger-garlic paste in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large stock pot or deep bottom pan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken pieces and brown them over medium-high heat until lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add salt whole cardamon-cinnamon, cumin paste,ginger garlic paste,garam masla,coriander powder,salt, black pepper and add the nutmeg,mace,cloves,all spice mix paste. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Mix in the tomato sauce and chopped tomatoes.Cook for about 3 minutes.Pour in the 5 cups water.
- Bring the sauce to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and cover the pot. Simmer until chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear, about 15-20 minutes.
- Soak the rice for 15-20 minutes and drained all water.
- Gently stir in the rice. Add grated carrot and adjust salt.Cover the pot and simmer until rice is tender and almost dry, about 20 minutes or until the rice grains are separate.
- Heat ghee in another pan and toast almond and raisins.Fry the cooked chicken until golden brown.
- Transfer the rice to a large serving platter and arrange the chicken pieces on top. Sprinkle toasted raisins and almonds over the dish.
Step by Step Picture: