Cotton Soft Vanilla Cake
all purpose flour 1/2 cup + 2 tbs
eggs 5 large
sugar 1/2 cup
corn flour 1 tsp
oil 3 tbs
milk 3 tbs
salt a pinch
- Bake at 160°C, 50-60 mins in a preheated oven at the bottom rack with both top and bottom heat on.
- You will need (18cm x 7cm) 7-inch round baking pan Line with a round cut parchment paper in the bottom. I did not grease the side of the pan. preheat the oven.
- In a bowl, mix egg yolks, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, oil, vanilla, and milk. Sift cake flour and corn flour and whisk until smooth.
- In a separate bowl whisk egg whites until foamy then add 1/4 cup sugar a little bit at a time. whisk until it thickens to stiff peak stage.
- Gently fold in the whites and yolk mixture until incorporated.
- Be careful do not over mix, otherwise, the foam will deflate and the cake won’t rise.
- Pour the mixture into 7 inch round baking pan. Bang the pan 2-3 times to remove any big air bubbles.
- Use a large baking tray, pour in hot water then place the cake pan in for a hot water bath.
- place the tray on the bottom rack of the oven with top and bottom heat on and Bake at 160°C for 50-60 minutes or until cake tests done. bang the pan on the floor a few times to prevent the cake from shrinking.
- Transfer the cake to a wire rack to cool down. Leftover cake can be covered and kept in the freezer.
- be careful when separating eggs, if there’s any yolk in the egg whites it won’t whip up properly.
- the water bath is important as it keeps the cake cooking at a steady temperature
- Be careful not to open the oven during the baking process.
- Over mixing cake batter can result in a heavy, sinking cake, close to omelet like texture.
- use big strokes to fold, never use an electric mixer for mixing meringue into yolk batter.
- Do not over or under beat the egg whites.
- Do not bake the cake quickly at a high temperature otherwise, the cake could crack on top.
- if your cake tin bottom is removable like my one, place it on a plate or wrap in foil to stop water from getting in.
- If your cake shrinks after taking out of the oven, that means you needed to bake 5-10 mins more.