Doi Bora – how to make doi bora at home
Doi Bora is a deep fried black lentil fritters dipped in thick savory-soured beaten yogurt garnished with our green and tamarind sauces. Doi Bora is one of the most popular snacks in Bangladesh and is also a Ramadan favorite.
Step by Step Picture:
- For Batter:
- Mash Kolai Dal - 1/2 cup
- Ginger, cumin, garlic paste - totall 1 teaspoon
- Green chili - 2 numbers
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- For Yogurt Sauce:
- Tok doi/Yogurt - 1 cup
- Green Chili Paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh mint leaves paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander leaves paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Chat Masala - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Sugar - 2 teaspoon
- For Garnish:
- Green Chutney ( see my green chutney recipe) - 2 tablespoon
- Tamarind/Tetul Chutney (see my tamarind chutney recipe) - 2 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriader leaves - 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Mint Leaves - 1 tablespoon
- Soak the lentil overnight. Strain water and pour into a blender.
- Add green chili, ginger, garlic, cumin and salt. Blend until soft smooth puree.
- Pour into a bowl. Beat the puree for 2-3 minutes until light or fluffy. Keep aside.
- Heat enough oil in deep frying pan , at least one inch deep oil on medium high heat.
- Reduce heat to low. Scoop the batter with a spoon and pour into oil carefully. (Don't worry about different size. You can make big or small).
- Fry them on medium low heat until light golden brown.
- Put the fritters into a absorbent paper/towel, then put it into normal water. It will absorb water and keep into water for 2-3 minutes.
- Put out the bora/fritters from water. Squeeze out excess water and place them on a serving plate. Keep aside.
- In a small bowl mix yogurt, chili paste, chat masala, mint paste, coriander paste, salt and sugar. Mix well until no lumps.
- Then, pour the yogurt mixture on the top of the prepared fritters/bora. Keep into refrigerator for 15 minutes.
- Ground the dal with very less or no water. Whisk the dal until it gets fluffy.
- use thick fresh yogurt and whisk well to get smooth paste.
- add more water as required to make smooth thick paste.
- Serve with extra chutney.
- Serve two or three doi bora in a serving plate
- finally, serve immediately to get perfect taste of doi bora.