- Hilisha fish - 1 kg cut into 8 pieces
- Onion Paste - 1/2 cup
- Onion Chopped - 1 cup
- Plain yogurt - 1 cup
- Peanut & fried onion paste - 3 tablespoon
- Ginger Paste - 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Garlic Paste - 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Paste - 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder - 2 teaspoon
- Milk - 1 cup
- Mawa/khoya - 1 tablespoon
- Raisin - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 1/4cup
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Green Chilies - 6-7
- Roasted Cashews - for garnishing
- Marinate the fish pieces with yogurt, red chili, onion paste, salt, ginger, garlic, peanut-fried onion paste, mawa, cumin paste and sugar. Marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil and ghee in a deep bottom pan. Add chopped onion and fry until soft.
- Then place the marinated fish and reduced the heat over medium.
- Add raisins and cook for 5 minutes on a medium low flame.
- Now add the milk and cover it.
- Cook for about 10 minutes or until oil is separated from spices.
- Then add green chilies and cook another 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame.
- Your Doi ilish/Ilish Bahar is ready now.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with fried onion and roasted cashews.
Step by Step Picture: