Ilish paturi a traditional Bengali recipe for special occasions. The taste of the mustard paste and the smoky flavor from tava frying banana leaves and the fish makes the recipe unique. Hilsha can be prepared in various ways but the most popular way of cooking is steamed or Ilish Bhapa and the Ilish Paturi.
- Hilsa fish - 6 pieces
- Mustard paste - 2 tablespoon
- Poppy seed paste - 1 tablespoon
- Plain yogurt - 1/4 cup without water
- Red Chili Powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger juice - 1/2 teaspoon
- Garlic paste - 1 teaspoon
- Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
- Mustard oil - 1/4 cup
- Green Chilies - 6 number
- Green Chili Paste - 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- Banana leaf - as required
- Pumpkin leaf - 12 pieces
- Cut the fish into pieces, leaving out the head and tail.
- Mix all spices with fish and keep it for 10 minutes.
- Put one piece of fish in the middle of two pumpkin leaves with 2 tablespoon marinade and one green chili.
- Wrap the leaf around the fish and tie with a colorless thread.
- Repeat the process for all the pieces of hilsha.
- Heat a tawa and place the banana leaf. Leave the wrapped pieces on the banana leaf and cover it with another piece of banana leaf. Cook for 10 minutes on a low heat.
- When one side of the wrapper is burnt,turn it. Cook for another 10 minutes. Make sure that the fish inside is cooked.
- Remove from tava. Unwrap and serve hot with steamed rice.
You May Also Like:
Step By Step Picture: