- Hilsha fish - 6 pieces
- Rice - 2 cups
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Coconut milk - 1 cup
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Oil+Ghee - 1 cup
- Onion - 1 cup chopped
- Onion Paste - 2 tablespoon
- Onion golden fried - 1/4 cup
- Red Chili Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Green Chilies - 4-5
- sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Ginger paste - 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
- Cumin Paste - 1 teaspoon
- Roasted Cashews - 2 tablespoon
- Raisins - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - to taste
- In a bowl mix yogurt, milk, ginger paste, garlic paste, peanut paste, cumin paste, onion paste and salt.
- Place the fish pieces and gently mix the spices with the fish. Marinate for about 10 minutes. It need not marinate for long time.
- Heat oil in a large fry pan and fry the fish pieces a little.
- Heat oil and ghee in a large bottom pan, add 1/2 cup of chopped onion and fry until soft.
- Then add marinated spices and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Once oil is separated then gently add fish pieces.
- Now add coconut milk and raisins.
- Cover it and cook for 5 minutes or until oil is separated.
- Adjust salt paper and salt.
- Then add green chilies and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Soak the rice for 15 minutes in water. Wash well and drain all the water.
- In a deep sauce pan add remaining chopped onion and fry until soft.
- Then add garlic paste and fry a little.
- Now add rice and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups of water, salt and green chilies.Wait until the water stars to bubble. Cover it and cook on a low flame. Keep it for 15 -20 minutes.
- Once rice well cooked, remove cover and place the cooked fish pieces.
- Gently place the fish pieces with gravy. Sprinkle fried onion and roasted cashews.
- Cover it and keep on a low flame for 10 minutes.
- Turn off flame and cover it at least 5 minutes before serving.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve hot with extra gravy or chutney.