For the jilapi batter:
- Mix the flour and basan together.
- Dissolve the yeast in 1 tablespoon of water.
- Mix the flour mixture, yeast, ghee and sugar and lemon yellow food colouring with 2/3 cup of water to make a thick batter, making sure no lumps remain.
- Keep aside for 20 minutes.
For the sugar syrup:
- In a pan dissolve the sugar with 1/2 cup of water and simmer for 5 minutes till the syrup is of 2 string consistency.
- Add lemon juice and mix.
- Remove from the heat and keep aside.
- Heat the oil/ghee in a broad fry pan.
- The oil should be approximately 1 inch deep.
- Fill the jilapi batter into a piping bag with a small hole in the center or sauce bottle which is finished with button-hole stitch.
- Pipe the batter in circles and cross the circle to ensure that the spiral stays together.
- Pipe around 4-5 jilapis at a time.
- Turn the jilapis when firm.
- Cook on a low flame till the bubbles die out.
- Fry to a light golden brown.
- Remove the jilapis in to a warm syrup and allow the jilapis to soak the syrup (approx.. 3-4 minutes).
- Drain immediately and serve hot.