Shorshe Beef/Mustared Spiced Beef Curry
Beef curry is extremely popular dish for all ages in Bangladesh. This Beef curry dish takes a bit of preparation but the end result is super delicious! The flavor of Bangladeshi Beef curry is quite different from Indian or Thai curry. Bangladeshi Beef curry is thicker,hot and spicy and always served with rice or ruti.
- Beef - 1 kg washed cut into 1 inch cube
- Mustard oil - 1/4 cup
- Mustard paste - 2 tablespoon
- Ginger Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
- Cumin paste - 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder (optional) - 1/2 teaspoon
- Nutmeg-mace powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Plain yogurt - 1/4 cup
- Onion slices - 1/4 cup
- Onion golden fried - 2 tablespoon
- Cinnamon stick - 2
- Cardamon - 4
- Bay leaves - 2
- Garam masla - 1/2 teaspoon
- Ghee - 1 tablespoon
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium heat. Add onion, cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking and stirring until the onion is very tender and light brown.
- Add cinnamon, cardamon, bay leaves and cloves. Stir in the mustard paste, ginger-garlic paste, coriander powder, cumin paste ,turmeric powder, nutmeg-mace powder, red chili powder and 2 tablespoon water. Cook and stir until most of the water has evaporated and the mixture has thickened.
- Pour the beef pieces in the mixture until coated with spice mixture. Whisk yogurt and pour into it. Add 2 cups of water and simmer over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally, until the beef is cooked through and tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Now add fried onion, garam masla, fried onion and ghee. After 2 minutes remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish.
- Serve hot with rice or ruti.
Pressure cooker direction:Cook the onions and spices in the pressure cooker instead of the pan; add the beef and seal the lid. Bring to high pressure and cook until beef is tender, about 30 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally after cooking.