Orange Meringue Pie
- For one 9 inch(23 cm) tart shell:
- All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cup
- Butter - 5 tablespoon
- Egg - 1 medium room temperature
- Sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla Essence - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - 1/4 teaspoon
- Orange juice - 1 tablespoon
- Water - 1 tablespoon
- For orange filling:
- Egg yolk - 2
- Whole egg - 1
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Orange juice - 1 cup
- Cornflour - 2 tablespoon
- Butter - 4 tablespoon
- Salt - a pinch
- Water - 4 tablespoon
- For Italian Meringue:
- Egg whites - 2
- Castor sugar - 1/2 cup
- Water - 1/4 cup
Making of pie crust:
- Mix flour, butter, salt and sugar in a bowl.
- Add egg, orange juice, water and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Knead the dough for 2-3 minutes.
- Cover and rest for half an hour.
- Shape the dough into ball. Place on lightly floured surface.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Place the crust in a greased 9 inch pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Turn edge under; crimp as desired.
- Preheat your oven to 170 degree c and bake for 25-30 minutes until light brown of the edge.
- Remove from oven and let it cool.
Making of orange filling:
- Mix all ingredients of filling in a non-stick small sauce pan.
- Boil the mixture on medium heat until thick.
- Remove from heat. Cover and let them cool on room temperature.
Making of Italian Meringue:
- Boil sugar and water in a pan on medium heat.
- Continue boiling until syrup reaches 238 degrees on a candy thermometer or soft ball stage.
- Meanwhile place the egg whites in a bowl of standing mixter or electric bitter fitted with whisk attachment and beat on low speed until foamy.
- Beat on medium high speed until stiff peak form but not dry.
- With mixture running, add syrup to whites in a steam, beating on high speed until no longer steaming. About 3-4 minutes.
Preparation of pie:
- Take the pie crust and fill with orange filling as a first layer.
- Pipe the Italian meringue and fill as a second layer.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until light brown color of the edge on 190 degree c.
- Serve and enjoy!
Similar Cake Recipes: