Piyaju – Lentil Fritters
Piyaju - red lentil fritters are very popular snacks in Bangladesh during the time of Ramadan. It's simple recipe but very traditional and favorite ifter item or snacks.
- Wash and soak the dal for 3-4 hours. Drain all water.
- Then put into a blender and make a half blend paste ( adha bata) without any water. Keep aside.
- Heat enough oil (at least 2 " inch hight) in deep frying pan on medium high heat.
- Mix dal with all other ingredients. Adjust salt and pepper.
- Make small, flat shaped fritters and slowly put in the hot oil.
- Turn over after 4-5 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
- Fry until golden brown and crisp both side.
- Keep then on a paper towel.
- Serve hot with sauce, tea or salad.
- When you make paste don't add any water.
- Be careful when putting the fritters in the hot oil and oil can be splatter.
- Of course turn over after fritters getting brown on the edges otherwise it would be broken.
- Adjust green chili according to taste level.
- You may add chopped coriander leaves or chopped mint leaves to the lentil mix.
- The lentil paste(without any other ingredients) can be kept in refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- In freezer, the lentil paste can be kept for up to one month.