Shahi Morog Polau/ Chicken Polau
- Chicken Ingredients:
- Chicken - 2 kg medium size
- Egg - 6 boiled & peeled
- Cashew Nut Paste - 1 tablespoon
- Tok doi(plain yogurt)/Curd - 4 tablespoon
- Ginger Paste - 1 tablespoon
- Garlic Paste - 2 teaspoon
- Ground red chili - 1 teaspoon
- Cumin Paste - 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder - 1/ 2teaspoon
- Jaiphal, Javetry(nutmeg, mace) powder or paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- Ghee - 1/4 cup
- Whole garam masala-cinnamon,cardamon, bay leaf - as needed
- Onion Bata/Paste - 2 tablespoon
- Crispy Fried onion(Beresta) - 1/2 cup
- Jorda color/orange food color(optional) - 1 teaspoon
- Rice Ingredients:
- Polau rice-chinigura/kalijira/bashmoti - 4 cups
- Water - 7 cups
- Salt - 2 teaspoon or taste
- Green Chilies - 6-7 pieces
- Onion - 1/2 cup chopped
- Ghee - 2 tablespoon
- Whole garam masala-cinnamon,cardamon, bay leaf, cloves - as needed
- kewra essence - 2 teaspoon
- Dried prunes (alu bukhara) - 6-7 pieces soaked
- Cut the chicken cut each into 4 pieces. Wash and dry with kitchen napkin. Mix a teaspoon ginger garlic paste, salt and food color.
- Heat oil and fry chicken pieces until brown on high heat. Keep aside.
- Then fry boiled egg until light brown and keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a wok or korai. Add whole garam masala and fry a little. Add onion paste and fry until light brown.
- Then mix ginger-garlic paste, cumin, red chili, coriander, nutmeg-mace, salt, cashew nut paste one by one.
- Then mix 1/2 cup of water and mix well. Cook 1 or 2 minutes.
- Then whisk yogurt and mix with gravy.
- Now place chicken pieces and mix with spices. Add half of fried onion and sugar.
- Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Then add one cup water and cook until thick and chicken is done on medium low heat.
- Once cooked, then turn off flame and keep aside.
- Clean and wash the rice well. Put the washed rice on a strainer for 15 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a nonstick deep bottom pan. Fry chopped onion until soft. Then add polau rice and fry a little.
- Then add water and cook on high heat.
- Once the water starts boiling reduce heat to low. Add whole garam masala, green chilies, salt and kewera essence.
- Cover cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Take out half of cooked rice and place the chicken pieces. Sprinkle fried onions and alu bukhara.
- Now cover the chicken with the other half of the rice. Cook over low heat for 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Once done, cover until serve.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and sprinkle fried onion and place boiled egg.
- Serve with shami kabab and salad and borhani.