Shorshe-Chingri White Khichuri/Mustard-Prawn-Lentil Rice
Shorshe Chingri White Khichuri is a simple, easy to make that is very fragrant and flavorful. A Bangladeshi style khichuri preparation that’s aromatic due to the use of Bangladeshi polau rice, mustard paste, mustard oil and few spices. Clarified butter or desi ghee make nice flavor of this dish.
You can make the khichuri in a pressure cooker or a rice cooker too. You can add some vegetable like – carrot, cauliflower and cabbage too. Saute’ them on high flame before adding into rice with prawn.
- Prawn/Chingri mach - 1 1/2 cup
- Chopped onion - 1/4 cup
- Mustard paste - 3 tablespoon
- Onion paste - 1/4 cup
- Tok doi(plain yogurt)/Curd - 3 tablespoon
- Ground red chili - 1/2 teasppoon
- Ground turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
- Mustard Oil - 1/4 cup
- Salt - to taste
- Khichuri Ingredients:
- Polau rice-chinigura/kalijira/bashmoti - 2 cups
- Masoor dal/Moongdal - 1 cup
- Ginger paste - 1 teaspoon
- Garlic paste - 1/2 teaspoon
- Bay leaf - 2 pieces
- Green chilies - 5-6 pieces
- Salt - to taste
- Water - 5 cups
- Ghee(Optional) - 2 tablespoon
- Wash and drain prawn, remove head and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry chopped onion until soft.
- Add Prawn and sprinkle a pinch of salt and turmeric powder.
- Fry the prawn both side for one minute. Remove prawn from pan.
- Now add all ingredients for prawn and saute' until oil is separated from gravy.
- Now mix prawn with spices and cook one minute.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Clean the rice and daal together and drain the water out.
- In a deep bottom vessel, mix with ginger, garlic and bay leaves with chal-daal, and add 5 to 6 cups of warm water with salt. Start cooking over medium heat. Stir a few times.
- Once the mix starts boiling, Reduce flame, cover and keep over low heat.
- Add green chilies and adjust salt.
- Stir once again after 3 to 4 minutes and keep covered.
- Once the water dries up after another 5 to 6 minutes, keep aside over very low heat to keep it warm.
- Add cooked prawn to the rice and mix thoroughly but gently. Keep the rice covered for 10 minutes on a low heat.
- Mix 2 tablespoon ghee and turn off heat.
- Transfer to a serving dish and serve with tomato chutney and bhorta.