Spicy Brown Mustard Biryani
Spicy Mustard Biriyani is a rich flavorful and delicious biriyani recipe. It’s attractive nice color and the flavor of mustard make it a special dish for any occasion.
- Chicken - 1 kg cut into 8 pieces
- Bashmoti or long grain rice - 500 gm
- Mustard oil - 1/2 cup
- Mustard paste - 2 tablespoon or to taste
- Plain yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Ginger Paste - 1 1/2 tablespoon
- Garlic Paste - 1 tablespoon
- Red Chili Powder - 1 teaspoon
- White pepper powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Nutmeg-mace powder - 1 teaspoon
- Garam masla - 1/2 teaspoon
- Onion golden fried - 1/2 cup
- Onion Paste - 2 tablespoon
- Green Chilies - 4-5 numbers
- Water - 4 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Lemon juice - 1/2 tablespoon
- Red food colour(optional0 - 2 drops
- Cardamon - 4 pieces
- Cinnamon stick 1 - 4
- In a bowl mix beaten yogurt, onion paste, mustard paste, ginger-garlic paste, salt, lemon juice, pepper and food color.
- Place the chicken and coat the chicken with spices mixture. Marinate for 1 hour.
- Heat Mustard oil in a pan and pour marinated chicken.
- Then mix coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, nutmeg-mace powder, 2 cardamon-cinnamon and mix thoroughly but gently.
- Cook on a medium flame until oil becomes separated from spice.
- Add 1/2 cup of water, bring it to a boil and cook covered till meat is 90% cooked.
- Sprinkle garam masala powder.
- Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Before cook, wash and soak the rice for 15 minutes if Bashmoti. Then, drain all water.
- In a large sauce pan boil 4 cups of water, add rice, salt and remaining cardamon, Cinnamon and cover and cook till rice is done 80%.
- Place the cooked chicken pieces on the cooked rice.
- Sprinkle fried onion and green chilies.Gently mix rice and chicken.
- Place a tawa under the pan.
- Cover and cook on a very low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- After 20 minutes switch off the heat and let the Biryani stand for another 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish and served with salad or chatney.