Tarka Dal/Tadka Dal
- Masoor dal/Red lentil - 1/4 cup
- Mash Kolai Dal/Urad dal - 1/4 cup
- Moong Dal/Yellow lentil - 1/4 cup
- Oil - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1 cup chopped
- Garlic - 1/4 cup chopped
- Tomato - 1 cup chopped
- Red Chili Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Ginger Paste - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Roasted Cumin Powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - to taste
- For Tempering:
- Ghee - 2 tablespoon
- Dry Red Chili - 3-4 numbers
- Cumin - 1 teaspoon
- Black mustard - 1 teaspoon
- Curry Leaves(optional) - 10-12 numbers
- Wash and soak the lentil for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add 2-3 cups of water and add the three lentils/dals, a pinch of turmeric powder and salt, then pressure cook up to 3 whistles.
- If cooking over stove top, cook till the dals are almost cooked. Mash the dals lightly. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan, add chopped onion, garlic and stir fry for few minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Next add ginger, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cook until oil is separated from spices.
- Then mix cooked dal and mix well. Add 1 cup of water and cook on medium heat without lid till you get the consistency of your choice. At that time mix roasted cumin powder and mix well.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and ready for tempering.
- Heat ghee in a small pan, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and as they splutter, dry red chilies, and curry leaves and saute for a few secs. Turn off heat and pour this over the dal.
- Serve with paratha or naan or steamed rice.
- You cook any kind of lentil with this recipe.
- If you like, add some torka masala. But it is very optional.
- In this recipe curry leaves are also optional.