Zafrani Murgh Polau
- For Chicken:
- Chicken - 2 medium size
- Ginger Paste - 2 tablespoon
- Garlic paste - 2 teaspoon
- Tok doi(plain yogurt)/Curd - 1/2 cup
- Red Chili Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder - 1 teaspoon
- Onion Paste - 2 tablespoon
- Cumin paste - 2 teaspoon
- Peanut paste - 2 teaspoon
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 teaspoon
- Green Cardamon - 4 pods
- Cinnamon 2 - 2 pieces
- Cloves - 4 pieces
- Bay leaf - 2
- Joiphal(nutmeg) powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- Jaitri(mace) powder - 1/4 teaspoon
- All spices powder - a pinch
- Salt - 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Sugar - 1 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice - 1 teapoon
- Oil - 1 cup
- For Rice:
- Polau rice-chinigura/kalijira/bashmoti - 4 cups
- Ghee - 3 tablespoon
- Onion - 4 tablespoon chopped
- Ginger Paste - 1 teaspoon
- Whole garam masal-cinnamon,cardamon - as needed
- Green chili - 5-6 pieces
- Salt - to taste
- Other Ingredients:
- Crispy Fried onion(Beresta) - 1/2 cup
- Raisins(kishmish) - 1/4 cup
- Green chili - 5-6
- Milk - 1/4 cup
- Zafran/Saffron - a few stands
- Kewra Essence - 1 tablespoon
- Clean and wash the chicken. Then cut each chicken into 4 pieces.
- Dry the chicken pieces with kitchen napkin.
- Marinate the chicken with ginger, garlic, yogurt, red chili powder, coriander powder and a little bit of salt for 2 hours in refrigerator.
- After two hours remove chicken pieces from marination spices.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a wide non-stick pan and fry chicken pieces without spices until brown. Keep aside.
Soak the saffron into the milk and keep aside.
Cooking the Chicken pieces:
- Heat remaining oil and add whole garam masala - cinnamon, cardamon, bay leaf and cloves, and stir for a minute.
- Add the marinated gravy, salt and all other ingredients except lime juice, sugar and green chili.
- Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes over medium heat.
- Add chicken pieces. Pour in 2 cups of water.
- Cover and cook on medium heat.
- After 10 to 12 minutes of cooking, add the lime juice, sugar and green chili. Mix well with the chicken and cover.
- Once cooked and water dries up, then turn off flame. Keep aside.
- Heat the rest of the oil in a deep bottom pan, and fry the rice until its crisp.
- Add onion, ginger and garam masala.
- Pour 6-7 cups of worm water over the rice and add in the salt.
- Once the water starts boiling adjust salt, cover the pan and keep over medium heat.
- Stir the boiling rice after 3 to 4 minutes, and keep it covered again.
- Place a tawa under the pan and reduce heat to low.
- Once cooked and water dries up, then take out gently approximately half of the cooked rice on a plate.
- Place all the chicken pieces and gravy over the rice.
- Add in half of the milk-saffron mix, some raisins, green chilies and some fried onions.
- Now cover the chicken with the other half of the rice and add in the rest of the milk-saffron mix, raisins and fried onions.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 20 minutes. Don't try to stir at that time.
- Once cooked and giving a distinct aroma turn off flame.
- Serve hot with shami kabab, chutney and salad.
- Keep cover the mixture until serving, otherwise polau becomes dry.
- Don't over cooked rice, it will be soft and sticky and bad looking also.
- Adjust salt, pepper and other spices according to your spice level.